Solitary Retreats are allowed in the Cloister at out temple for a period of up to 90 days. We can provide a small solitary space for meditation, contemplation, study and serene reflection. You can apply for a retreat by speaking directly to Thich Minh Tinh (Thay Kozen) and completing our registration form.
- You must have a currently established meditation program.
- A reference letter from a teacher or someone who knows of your practice.
- A commitment to follow the guidelines of the cloister. See below and the “what to bring list”.
- A decision prior to the retreat if you will be in silence or not.
- An agreement to avoid alcohol, drugs (other than prescribed), sex, loud speech, or aggressive behavior.
- A minimum of 1.5 hours per day shall be done by each participant working in the gardens or general cleaning as part of their spiritual practice.
- All stays are subject to a one-week trial basis.
BASIC GUIDELINES FOR OUR MEDITATION AND RETREAT AREA. This is a space designated for finding peace. Please enter here with a willing heart and an open spirit. People of all faiths and religions are welcome; you do not “need” to be anything other than what you are while you are here. The many small Buddha statues are meant to inspire us to find peace. The term Buddha means “enlightened,” it also has a second meaning of “opening up” – like a flower budding. It is said that to look on the face of a Buddha carving will help our hearts to open up a bit. May your heart and the hearts of all beings open to peace. Please keep your voice low with minimal interaction with others. No music or other auditory intrusions unless you are with a group and are using the entire cloister. Restrooms and showers are available on the first floor of the garage. If you are on a silent retreat – please wear a “Silent Retreat” name badge so we can all honor your practice. Our office is open between 1 pm and 5 pm. Emergency phone calls can be received 24 hours a day at 509.637.5995. Please use this number for real emergencies only. The temple has 2 dogs. No other pets are allowed on the property.
PROVIDED MEALS – VEGETARIAN Breakfast – hot or cold cereal, fruit, cow’s milk or almond milk, non-caffeine tea Lunch – vegetables or salad, starch (rice, grain, or bread), fruit, milk product (cheese, yogurt, kefir, etc.) Dinner – almond or soy milk, fruit, non-caffeine tea If you have special dietary needs, please discuss them with Thay Kozen
- 1-7 day retreats $50 per day.
- 1 – 4 week retreats $175 per week – no prorating
- 30 days or greater $600 per month – no prorating
Full and partial scholarships are available, please speak with Thay Kozen Ordained clergy has a special rate, please speak with Thay Kozen The Temple has regular meditation services. You may wish to attend these services, however, there is no requirement to do so. You can meet with Thay Kozen or another monk if you wish, please schedule an appointment.